|Architect:||? / Carlo Scarpa|
|Current use:||Biblioteca Fondazione Querini Stampalia|
The denomination of this branch of the Castello family, being resident in the parish of Santa Maria Formosa from the 13th century, is derived from the homonymous greek island the Querini once possessed. Unter Nicolò Querini, the palace was begun. Its architect remains unknown, but its language of shape (two nearly equal piani nobili, small stone tondi in the gussets, two water portals) is typical for the Cinquecento, albeit reluctant. A third upper floor was added between 1789 and 1797 in occasion of a marriage with a member of the Lippomano family. The last Querini descendant donated the palace to the city in 1869.
Besides interior decoration from the 18th century, the museum exposes masterpieces of Venetian painting, among which are works by Giovanni Bellini and Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. The ground floor and garden were extensively modified by the Venetian architect Carlo Scarpa (1906-1978), who, contrary to common opinions, did not always respect the on-site findings. Notwithstanding this, his work, dealing humorously with the theme "Water", is one of the most phenomenal works of "modern" architecture in Venice at all. Also note the crest and the bridges.
Carlo Scarpa: Access bridge to the Querini Stampalia museum
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces