The palace in the Cannaregio sestiere was built in the first years of the 16th century and is, despite its size, of high importance. This style is described as "lombardesco" especially by the Italian scientific literature. Later, a new balcony was added. After 1574, the building became french embassy. Both façade proportions and corner columns much resemble to the Palazzo Vendramin a S. Fosca, built perhaps some years later. A sculptured round arch of the portego portal is conserved inside the palace.
The palace is visible on a 18th century painting by Gabriel Bella (today in the Pinacoteca Querini Stampalia).
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces