|Date:||15th century (presumably like Palazzo Bernardo di Canal)|
|Address:||San Marco 5016|
|Current use:||still ACTV offices|
This large palazzo is easy to find on the map by Jacopo de'Barbari. It is one of the few examples of loggia traceries which is not on the Canal Grande. The sich-arch loggia of the second piano nobile is very remarkable.
Nothing is known about the initial plan, especially about the courts. The left wing has today a vast stairway. All in all, the brick walls seem to be restored very much. Especially the walls towards the Calle have been altered: there, the first piano nobile has more recent rectangular windows.
The balustrade with sculptures is presumably from the Renaissance epoch. Baroque stucco works are conserved in the 2nd piano nobile.
After 1872, this building served as post office. Now, after serving the newspaper "Il Gazzettino" until the early 1980s, the palazzo has offices building of the vaporetto company ACTV, but since December 2004, the palace is for sale for 11 million euro.
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces