|Architect:||Mauro Codussi (?)|
|Address:||San Marco 3877|
|Current use:||commercial - Lorenzo Rubelli|
Like the other palace on the Grand Canal by Mauro Codussi, the Palazzo Loredan Vendramin Calergi, built soon after 1500, the Palazzo Lando Corner in the parish of S. Angelo has the grouped windows named after the architect. A high, bossed ground floor with mezzanine rises above a limestone frieze with festons. At the time of the construction, bossage was a new element in the venetian palace architecture and occured, besides this palace, only at the Ca' del Duca by Bartolomeo Bon. Only the first piano nobile has the characteristic balconies with a view plan like a half quatrefoil.
In 1542 Zuane (Giovanni) Corner acquired the building from the Doge Lando, since the Palazzo Corner Mocenigo was not yet finished in those years. In collaboration with Giorgio Vasari, Michele Sanmicheli transformed the entrance hall and modified the staircase. A recent study tends to put the hitherto undoubted authorship of Mauro Codussi into perspective.
The building on the right of the palace is a neorenaissance addition from the early 20th century.
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces