|Date:||15th century; 1609-1616|
|Architect:||attr. Vincenzo Scamozzi|
The right palazzo (Palazzo Contarini Corfù) shows 15th century forms and was modified in the 19th century. Its tracery loggia is based on the Doge's palace. Like at the Palazzo Pisani a Santa Marina, the water floor was altered later, but the segment-arch windows in the water floor were kept. Its rear façade shows traces of Renaissance polychrome decorations (heads). The renaissance building on south (Palazzo Contarini degli Scrigni), traditionally attributed to Palladio's disciple Vincenzo Scamozzi and dated 1607, is instead, according to recent research, the work of an unknown architect and already in construction in 1584. It does not contain a classic portego (which already exists in the gothic palace), but two large halls on the Grand Canal. Therefore, the façade does not have a traditional central loggia, but a single window. The tower contains an observatory.
Most parts of the Contarini picture collection are today in the Accademia. Since the 19th century the palaces are property of the Rocca family. Interior decoration is conserved.
Back side of Palazzo Contarini Corfù
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces