|Architect:||Gian Giacomo dei Grigi|
|Address:||San Polo 1364,1379|
|Current use:||research institute, private|
The palace forms the counterpart to Michele Sanmicheli's palazzo Grimani on the other side of the Grand Canal, but is of lower importance. Giangiacomo de'Grigi, son of Guglielmo de'Grigi, was the builder. Similar to Palazzo Loredan Vendramin Calergi, a transversal building from the 19th century further back embraces a garden area.
In 1837, the building passed to Valentino Comello, who sold it in 1852 to the austrian marshal Bartolomeo Stürmer. In 1864 the dukes Nicolò and Angelo Papadopoli acquired the palazzo. Cesare Rotta (1847-1882) created the frescoes covering the staircase. Besides a ceiling Tiepolo fresco, historistic interior decorations by Michelangelo Guggenheim are still conserved. The palazzo also has a late gothic vera di pozzo.
At the begin of the 20th century, the building passed to the Arrivabene Valenti Gonzaga, who still inhabit it.
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces