|Address:||San Marco 4792|
Large palace near the Rialto, later altered. The gothic courtyard has disappeared. A staircase, accessible from the main portal on the riva del Carbon and built when the palace was modified from 1657 to 1671, gives access to the different floors, where some ceiling frescoes are conserved. Re-used byzantine sculptures and moldings, especially on the right side of the façade, are of special interest. Any mezzanine and ground floor apertures have been modified; the large cornice is a later addition. Unfortunately, the bad habit of applying thick new plaster even around scultptured stone decoration also influenced the last restoration of Palazzo Bembo. The last floor is today used for accomodation.
Facade detail with pre-gothic reused elements
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces