The early work of Baldassare Longhena is well preserved. Especially the entrance and the balcony with rolled consoles are good examples for Longhena's genius. The quite large complex incorporates a courtyard and extends to the homonymous Campo on the north. A terrace on the right wing dates from Longhena's time.
The Widmann familly originates from Paternion in Austria. Paternion castle still is property of the Foscari-Widmann-Rezzonico counts as well as parts of the venetian palace. Among the 18th century decoration of the palace, stucco works by Giuseppe Maria Mazza and frescoes by Gaspare Diziani still can be found in the piano nobile halls. Together with Clemente Molli, Longhena also created the altar of the Widmann chapel in the church of San Canciano (1639).
second floor balcony
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces