|Current use:||religious foundation|
A very good conserved palazzo with three floors and mezzanine from the end of the 15th century, once possessed by the Contarini family. Later, the Gozzi bought the palazzo in 1638. The Seriman, or Sceriman family acquired the building in 1728.
The piano nobile has exclusively pointed arches of fifth order. A nearly quadratic cross cut of the portego can be derived from the fact that the loggia has four arches. The wings still have the small quadratic windows, called saracinesche. A baroque staircase is located at the end of the androne respectively the porteghi - a solution, which is very similar to Palazzo Pisani-Moretta. Recent scholarship attributes this staircase to Giorgio Massari. On the Rio façade, there is a partially bricked Serliana and single gothic arches of fifth order. It can be assumed that at the position where now the serliana is, there was initially the palazzo's courtyard: this area is lower and was modified later. If the court really had been there, the palazzo would have had typical C-type plan with the porteghi's light coming from the lateral court.
The third floor was built later, or it has been altered. Towards the Salizzada Seriman, it has round arch windows.
There is also a large garden at the back façade with its great round arch windows, which you can see best from the Calle Venier. Some interior decoration is conserved, e.g. a "Glory of the Sceriman family" in the staircase, formerly attributed to Giambattista Tiepolo, but more probably painted by Mattia Bortoloni.
May 2002: announcement of restoration works. The ugly red plaster should be entirely replaced.
Sept. 2002: an exterior glass elevator is built behind the right wing.
A dissertation on the palace is not published.
Suore del Gesù Bambino
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces