|Address:||San Polo 2165|
A lately restored example of a gothic palazzo with four floors. The best view is from the Ponte di Ca'Bernardo. Contrary to the neighbour palace, the Ca' Bernardo, the Sanudo palace has a mezzanine.
The façade, without limestone corner framing, but with non-profiled between up to the mezzanine upper cornice shows a significantly lower claim and hence a minor quality of sculpture. Also here a large round arch opens the androne towards the courtyard which still has its original well head. Two separate staircases give access to the piani nobili.
The court wall still has one of the last examples of venetian gothic-styled wall balustrades.
Among the 18th century decoration, frescoes by Gaspare Diziani are preserved. The piano nobile portego remained without further subdivisions. While Marin Sanudo "il vecchio" was a descendant of the San Polo branch of the Sanudo family, Marin "the younger" lived at San Giacomo dell'Orio. With Francesco Livio, deceased in 1852, the Sanudo S. Polo died out.
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces