Nani Palace


Venice: Palazzo Nani - 19 kB

General remarks:

Date:16th century
Address:Cannaregio 1105
Current use:IUAV; scuola media
Overview map:locate


The renaissance palace has its façade on the Canale di Cannaregio. During the austrian occupation, the right wing was extended to four windows axis. The interior conserves ceiling frescoes of different quality - those of the first piano nobile, which is currently used as scuola media, seem to be from the late 18th century, those of the second noble floor from the early 19th century, when the palazzo was property of the jewish Vivante family. Part of the decoration was transferred to the Ca'Rezzonico museum, a chimney is now in the Palazzo Grimani. The ground floor stairway portal is also a quite interesting example of renaissance sculpture.
Palazzo Nani's large garden, which was located behind the palace, has disappeared and been replaced by anonymous buildings.
August 2002: The palazzo will most probably be sold and converted into a hotel, as well as Palazzo Morosini Sagredo.

Additional pictures:

2nd piano nobile portego ceiling
22 kB (100x65)

Related buildings


Bassi (1976) pp. 139, 296-98, 564
Huse/Wolters (1996) p. 45

External resources


© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces

Imprint Venice