|Architect:||Jacopo Sansovino (?)|
The palace known today as Ca'Bembo dates from the 16th century. Especially the corner bossage, getting irregular in the upper zone of the mezzanine and corresponding exactly with the bossage of the portal, is remarkable. Tintoretto had painted the fields between the single windows with mythological scenes were described by Anton Maria Zanetti in his work on venetian frescoes from 1771, but are completely destroyed today. In 1763, the palace was damaged by a fire. Ceiling frescoes from the late 18th/early 19th century are conserved inside.
According to an essay by A. Foscari, Jacopo Sansovino was the author of a remodeling of the gothic predecessor palace.
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces