The tracery of the central loggia is based on the Doge's palace, a concept that can also be found on several other examples of the "gotico fiorito" along the Grand Canal. Between the single windows of the piano nobile, two male figures (added during the venetian renaissance) are holding coats of arms. For some time, palazzo Loredan was the residence of marshal Matthias von der Schulenburg, well known for his collection of art.
Doge Francesco Loredan made the building the Imperial embassy in 1754. Later, the palace was damaged by a fire. The ground floor and mezzanine were in large parts renewed. A garden can be found behind the building. Several stucco works are conserved inside the palace.
© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces