Algarotti-Corniani Palace


Venice: Palazzo Algarotti-Corniani - 19 kB

General remarks:

Date:mid 16th century
Address:Cannaregio 5356
Current use:private
Overview map:locate


The palace, erected by the Stella family, is positioned near the Fondamente Nove and was, according to its details, especially the piano nobile windows with the central serliana, erected in the middle of the 16th century. In the 1720s, the palazzo passed to Bonomo and Francesco Algarotti, who let it modernize. The courtyard balcony was depicted in Antonio Visentini's work "Osservazioni sopra gli errori degli architetti" (1771). Perhaps Tommaso Temanza was the author of the remodelling. Under Bernardino Corniani Algarotti, the palace with its famous art collection compiled by Marcantonio Corniani Algarotti was opened to the public. Some remains of interior decoration are preserved, but the building is much pauperised.


Bassi (1976) pp. 470, 503-505, 564


© 1999-2007 J.-Ch. Rößler
Venice architecture - palaces

Imprint Venice