The Campo Santa Maria Formosa in the Sestiere di Castello is named after the homonymous renaissance church in the southern part and is one of the largest places in Venice. A couple of important edifices are bordering the Campo. On the map attributed to Jacopo de'Barbari "Venetie MD", some of these buildings can be already recognized: the pre-gothic and later modified Palazzo Vitturi, the gothic house of Sebastiano Venier and the gothic complex of the Donà palaces, all on the eastern side of the place.
Instead of the manieristic Palazzo Ruzzini erected in the 17th century, a humble mansion can be seen on the map. Since Canaletto had created his view of the Campo Santa Maria Formosa, the place has virtually not changed.
The church, built towards the end of the 15th century by Codussi, has preserved its appearance except the northern façade from the 17th century showing a sculpture of the Senator Vincenzo Cappello (d. 1604) above the portal. Paintings by Palma il Giovane and Vivarini can be found inside the church. The palace-like building bordering the church on the south is now used by the parish. It contains neoclassical stucco works and once belonged to the Querini Stampalia complex. The neogothic Palazzo Ratti, opposite the Fondamenta Santa Maria Formosa, is also noteworthy.